Justin Miller is the CEO and co-founder of Wedpics — a wedding photo-sharing platform — which has reached over 1 million users and was recently featured on CNN! We asked Justin to answer a few questions (some serious, some not so serious) to help our community learn a bit more about him:
1. What are the top three things on your bucket list?
- See my start-up have a brilliant exit
- Explore Asia
- Cage dive with great white sharks
2. If you could have any superpower, what would it be and why? Time travel – cause it’s without a doubt the most rad of all powers.
3. Here at HQ Raleigh, one of our Core Values is “Be Authentic.” What do you do on a day-to-day basis to live out that value? I think I do a good job of being authentic. I’m not one to sugar coat, and I shoot from the hip. I also have no MSG nor am I a Costco® brand knockoff.
4. What is the biggest challenge to starting a business? The biggest reward? Biggest challenge: everything. There is no easy task as an entrepreneur, and while things may seem simple on the surface, this has been the hardest undertaking I’ve ever endured. The biggest reward is being able to hear people all over the world talk about how our idea/product has bettered their life in some capacity.
5. Who was your favorite musical artist when you were in the 5th grade? Ummm I was in 5th grade 22 years ago… I can barely remember what I had for dinner last night. That being said: Motley Crue, Poison, and any/every other 80s hair band.
6. What’s the strangest or funniest thing you’ve encountered since starting your business? The fact that I am who I am and do what I do. My team being in the wedding space couldn’t be a funnier juxtaposition, in my opinion.
7. What piece of advice would you give to budding entrepreneurs? Don’t be afraid to fail. Fail fast. Learn from failure. Network. Network. Network. Never burn bridges. Don’t be afraid to ask for help/advice. Constantly challenge your thinking. I realize this is more than just a single piece of advice but YOOOOLLLLOOOO!!!!
8. What is one thing you hope to accomplish this year (personal or professional)? My professional and personal life are more or less the same thing, so I’ll answer as both. Without being a complete snoozefest in my answer I’m aiming to blow out our projected forecast for the company and truly take it to the next level.
9. What is your weirdest or most unique talent? In 2008 a poisonous snake bit me in the hand. Since then I have what’s called “Snakedar” where I can feel the presence of snakes when they’re around (prior to seeing them).
10. Favorite movie quote? “Our pets’ heads are falling off!”