Morris Gelblum is the Founder of Sweeps, which offers a safe, and easy way to hire college students. Recently, he was featured in PBS piece about co-working and entrepreneurship in the Triangle, which will air sometime in Mid-July — we’ll keep you posted! We asked Morris a series of questions (some serious and some not-so-serious) so that our members can learn a little bit more about him.
1. Do you have any superstitions? I like the number 8
2. Where were you when you had your “Ah-ha” moment? Jazz Concert at Memorial Hall in Chapel Hill
3. Who was your biggest role model as a child? Parents
4. Here at HQ, one of our Core Values is “Drive Forward with Purpose.” What do you do on a day-to-day basis to live out that value? Lead an awesome team towards our purpose driven goal (see below).
5. If you were to create your own “5 Core Values,” what would they be? We actually just wrote them at the Sweeps blog (blog.sweeps.jobs):
Sweeps Mission: To empower people, reward quality, learn humbly, and practice generosity.
To build a platform
That makes it easy and safe
For the right people to help one another
While rewarding quality and practicing generosity
Core Values: Humility, Generosity, Learning, Quality, Perspective
6. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received? Forces beyond your control can take away everything you possess except one thing, your freedom to choose how you will respond to the situation. You cannot control what happens to you in life, but you can always control what you will feel and do about what happens to you.
7. What is one thing you hope to accomplish this year (personal or professional)? Do less, focus more.
8. What do you consider to be your greatest achievement so far? Helping others find meaningful work.
9. If your friends or colleagues were to describe you in one word what would they say? Ideas
10. Favorite movie quote? “With great power comes great responsibility”